staff
updates
� 03.17.2016
Welcome to our soft opening! Help build the lore and start some plots!

� 03.19.2016
Tentative reservations were added to the play-by directory. Check it out!
featured
If you'd like to join, but would like a pre-made character, check out our new adoptables!
credits
Skin and mini profile coded by MISS TEXAS. at CAUTION. Toggle sidebar is from SubDevo and Custom Forum Structure script is from Black. Site templates posted by Santa Cera Press by Nicole from Caution with edits by Thea for this site. Affiliate tables by Little One of Caution with changes by Thea for this site.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

It's My First Day, open
Winny Lumis
 Posted: Mar 18 2016, 08:26 PM
Winny Lumis
is currently Offline.
They say time's supposed to heal ya, but I ain't done much healin'.
job
Travel Nurse
~Human
group
Thea
alias
14 secrets

Rivers and Roads
rivers 'til I reach you
Winny drove with the windows down. Her electric blue '67 Lemans sped along the highway at 80 miles an hour. Not many people were traveling before 5 a.m. It was eerie to see the road close to empty. She was reminded of one of those post-apocalyptic movies where the world is a wasteland. Why did the world always have to be a wasteland? That never made any sense to her. So the dead rose. What did that have to do with the end of the world? Her mind wandered, racing from one thought to the next until she pulled into the hospital's staff parking area. It was just after 5:30 in the morning and she'd already had two cups of coffee. She was buzzing with energy. As she climbed out of the car she moved with quick, jerky gestures. She got her bag off the passenger seat, went over to the trunk, unlocked it and set it inside. Winny wore a light leather jacket over navy scrubs. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail at the nape of her neck. Having locked her car and clipped her I.D. badge to her waistband, Winny started walking across the parking lot toward the front entrance. Movement caught her eye and she saw a man shuffling along from across the way. They both seemed to be headed in the same direction. He was dark-skinned with a heavy salt-and-pepper beard. Light gray hair poked out the sides of a well-worn baseball cap. His long coat was frayed and dirty. Winny got to him quickly with her brisk strides.

"Morning," she said pleasantly enough.

He looked at her with knitted brows, confusion in his eyes. She smiled.

"Hi. I'm Winny."

The man looked her up and down from her toes to her face.

"You with the hospital?" he said.

"I am."

He nodded.

"Good. Good."

Winny waited for him to say more.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"Leonard."

Well, he knew his name. That was good.

"Are you a patient here, Leonard?"

"Some days I am. Some days I ain't."

She nodded slowly, trying to puzzle this out.

"Are you a patient today?" she asked.

He looked at her like she'd just asked what color the sky was.

"You see me wearin' one of those scratchy paper-thin gowns they put you in? No, today I ain't."

Great. Attitude. Just what she needed before she'd even walked in the door.

"Are you visiting someone?" she asked. "Visiting hours don't start for another two hours or so."

"I know when the visiting hours are!"

Winny sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Then what are you doing here?"

"What are YOU doin' here?"

"I work here!"

"How you know I don't?"

Winny blinked at him.

"You work at the hospital?"

She didn't buy it. He chuckled.

"No, but how would you know that if I didn't tell you?"

"Look, I gotta get inside," Winny said. "Do you need some help?"

A voice called out "Hey Leonard."

They both looked up. Dr. Abbot was in his thirties. He was clean shaven and he had short dark hair. Leonard smiled when he approached.

"Heya Doc. Who's the newbie?"

Dr. Abbot stood with them carrying his keys in one hand and a laptop bag in the other.

"That's Winny. She's saving us this week. You know how much we need good nurses."

"Damn straight you do. I didn't like that one you stuck me with last time. Real pain in the ass, that one."

"Well, you're a tough man to please."

Winny watched the two of them interact. Apparently this guy was a regular. She didn't know if that was good or bad. Nobody wanted to be a regular at a hospital.

"I should get going," she muttered. "Nice meeting you, Leonard."

She hurried through the automatic doors, letting Dr. Abbot handle the guy. Winny didn't have the patience. She stood waiting for the elevator and Dr. Abbot came up beside her.

"Nice escape," he said.

"Yeah. Sorry."

"You'll get used to him. Leonard's homeless. He hangs around, comes in to get warm or use the bathroom. Occasionally he passes out and we wheel him in. He's got an irregular heartbeat."

"Lovely."

The elevator doors opened and they both stepped into the box.

OPEN | 405
PM
^
Berrick Hearthstone
 Posted: Mar 19 2016, 11:39 AM
Berrick Hearthstone
is currently Offline.
N/A
job
unemployed
~Fae
group
Thea
alias
13 secrets

winny. 207.
thx »

oh, oh, oh, I'm on fire.

Brick was in bad shape. Yes, yes. Very bad shape, indeed. Some bright spark had called a bloody ambulance and had him trekked off to the hospital. Of course, he'd been drowning a bit at the time, but that was no reason to be a good samaritan and all.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, Brick could understand why any normal, rational, good-hearted human being would have seen him drowning and called 9-1-1. However, at the forefront of his mind, he was concerned about some doctor prodding at him and growing suspicious because he wasn't quite normal.

He was also presently trying to get himself out of the hospital without falling over.

Brick wore a set of pale blue scrubs he'd pilfered from a supply closet. His sneakers were nowhere to be found, so he was walking around in bare feet hoping no one would notice. His hair was damp and he looked quite pale and drawn. He walked down one of the building's long corridors trying to make his way to an elevator to get to the main floor.

As he walked he nearly collided with someone else and he was quick to back up a few paces.

"Sorry. Didn't see you there," he muttered.

PM
^
Winny Lumis
 Posted: Mar 19 2016, 10:07 PM
Winny Lumis
is currently Offline.
job
Travel Nurse
~Human
group
Thea
alias
14 secrets

Rivers and Roads
rivers 'til I reach you
Winny stood in the elevator beside Doctor Abbot. It was an awkward way to start a job, but at least he seemed good natured. Winny watched the floor numbers light up above the door.

"You like traveling?" the doctor asked.

"Yeah, I guess so," she replied.

"I don't know if I could do it," he said. "The crazy schedule, and waking up somewhere different on a semi-regular basis?"

Winny smiled at him.

"You get used to it in a way."

"How could you get used to anything if you move around all the time?"

Winny thought about that for a moment.

"I guess you get used to not being used to things."

The elevator stopped and the doors opened. Winny stepped out and looked around for signage.

"Take a right, head down the hall," Dr. Abbot said. "Nurse's station's on the right."

"Thanks," Winny said.

"You want me to walk over with you?" he asked. "I have a minute."

She held up a hand.

"It's okay, I'm fine."

He looked a little dejected so she smiled.

"Thanks, though."

Winny headed down the hall. She didn't like when people were too friendly right off the bat like that. It made her wonder what their motives were. As she walked someone coming the other way almost knocked into her. She stopped short, backing up a few paces. A man in scrubs muttered an apology. Winny gave an uneasy smile.

"What's it your first day, too?" she asked.

BRICK | 245
PM
^
Berrick Hearthstone
 Posted: Mar 20 2016, 05:10 PM
Berrick Hearthstone
is currently Offline.
N/A
job
unemployed
~Fae
group
Thea
alias
13 secrets

winny. 125.
thx »

oh, oh, oh, I'm on fire.

The person Brick had bumped into turned out to be a woman. Hospital staff from the looks of her outfit. He got a bit nervous as she spoke, asking if it was his first day too. He looked at her with interest.

"Sorry?"

He knew he should cut the conversation short and move along. The faster he could get past her the better. But it was such a strange thing for her to say. Was it her first day on the job? As a medical professional? As a human being?

He was a little off, feeling dizzy and weak, so organizing his thoughts wasn't easy. He swayed a little on his feet, darkness tugging at the outskirts of his vision. Well, that certainly wasn't good.

PM
^
Winny Lumis
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 08:21 AM
Winny Lumis
is currently Offline.
job
Travel Nurse
~Human
group
Thea
alias
14 secrets

Rivers and Roads
rivers 'til I reach you
Winny studied the man. He didn't seem to grasp the meaning of her question. She smiled and shook her head.

"Never mind," she said.

Her smile faltered as an unwell look came over the man and he became unsteady on his feet. Winny reached both hands out and caught him before he fell.

"Woah. Okay," she breathed. "Hey. Can you hear me?"

He was a bit heavy and she had to adjust her grip and stance to keep them both standing.

BRICK | 81
PM
^
Berrick Hearthstone
 Posted: Jul 3 2016, 08:05 AM
Berrick Hearthstone
is currently Offline.
N/A
job
unemployed
~Fae
group
Thea
alias
13 secrets

winny. 151.
thx »

oh, oh, oh, I'm on fire.

As Berrick slumped over he was vaguely aware of the woman holding onto him. He couldn't seem to make his legs work. They were there and everything. It just seemed the strength had gone out of them and they'd turned to jelly.

The woman's voice was muffled when she spoke to him. It sounded like he was under water, his ears and head all plugged. The more he tried to stand up the weaker he seemed to get. He started to try to talk, but his tongue felt thick and his mouth went slack.

He managed to paw at the woman's shoulder with an arm that felt like it weighed about a ton. He raised his head to look at her with startled, glassy eyes and then his neck muscles gave out, his head dropped, and the rest of him followed. Everything around him faded to black and he lost consciousness.

PM
^
Winny Lumis
 Posted: Jul 4 2016, 05:27 PM
Winny Lumis
is currently Offline.
job
Travel Nurse
~Human
group
Thea
alias
14 secrets

Rivers and Roads
rivers 'til I reach you
If the man heard Winny he wasn't able to tell her that. He made some sounds that didn't sound like any particular words. She almost fell over herself as he leaned more of his weight on her and grabbed at her.

"Woah, okay," she said.

He managed to look at her and there was fear in his eyes. She looked around the hallway as he turned to dead weight in her arms.

"Help!" she called. "I need some help over here!"

Unable to hold the man up alone, Winny crouched to lower him to floor before she could drop him or fall over. She checked his wrist for a pulse and was relieved to find one as she heard running footsteps coming from down the hall.

BRICK | 126

PM
^
Berrick Hearthstone
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 06:17 PM
Berrick Hearthstone
is currently Offline.
N/A
job
unemployed
~Fae
group
Thea
alias
13 secrets

winny. 129.
thx »

oh, oh, oh, I'm on fire.

Berrick drifted back into consciousness, hearing the steady beep of a machine. He swallowed and his throat felt dry, so it was difficult. He coughed a little and opened his eyes. Even the dim light of the room felt too bright and he squinted, trying to make out his surroundings through the blur.

Shite. He was in a damn hospital room, wasn't he?

"Oh, bloody perfect," he muttered.

He tried to sit up, but his entire body felt heavy and jellified. He fell back onto the bed and let out a breath. His eyes darted around nervously. Had anyone examined him yet? Surely someone had. What had they found? Did they know?

The beeping from the machine quickened with his heartbeat as he became more alert and more anxious.

PM
^
Winny Lumis
 Posted: Dec 24 2016, 11:27 PM
Winny Lumis
is currently Offline.
job
Travel Nurse
~Human
group
Thea
alias
14 secrets

Rivers and Roads
rivers 'til I reach you
Winny was making her rounds and finding her way around as she did. It had been an interesting morning and then a busy day. Winny had spent most of it running from one room to another trying not to get lost.

She slowed her pace in front of a room she'd poked her head into a few times throughout the day. Every time the guy had been unconscious. It had frightened her, the way he'd collapsed like that. And she had so many questions. What was his name? Why was he wearing scrubs? Where had he been going?

When Winny stepped into the room she expected him to be asleep as he had been every time she'd come in. She started walking over to the side of the bed to check the digital readings of his vitals, but the rapid beeping of the machine monitoring his pulse caught her attention. She looked over at the man in the bed and saw his eyes were open. Winny approached the bed and smiled.

"Hi. I'm Winny. Remember me? We met earlier in the hall."

BRICK | 182
PM
^
Berrick Hearthstone
 Posted: Dec 24 2016, 11:51 PM
Berrick Hearthstone
is currently Offline.
N/A
job
unemployed
~Fae
group
Thea
alias
13 secrets

winny. 155.
thx »

oh, oh, oh, I'm on fire.

Brick was a tad freaked out. Maybe more than a tad. The more freaked out he got the more the machines beeped, and the more the machines beeped the more freaked out he got. His heart felt like it was about to jackhammer out of his chest.

And then she came breezing in, the raven-haired woman in the scrubs that had caught him. She didn't pay him much mind at first. She was more focused on the machines off to the side. And then she looked at him, gave him a smile. She asked if he remembered her from the hall. He gave a nod and his head felt heavy as a stone.

"Sure I remember you. Kept me from bashin' my head off the floor."

He sat up again, slowly this time. He had a needle stuck in his arm and the sight of it made him grimace.

"What's that you're fillin' me with?"

PM
^
Winny Lumis
 Posted: Dec 25 2016, 11:07 PM
Winny Lumis
is currently Offline.
job
Travel Nurse
~Human
group
Thea
alias
14 secrets

Rivers and Roads
rivers 'til I reach you
The man confirmed he remembered her. That was a small relief. At least he was coherent. She moved closer as he went to sit up and her gaze ticked to the I.V. when he asked about it.

"Fluids," she told him. "So you don't get dehydrated."

Winny pulled her stethoscope from around her neck.

"Do you mind if I check your vitals, Mister…?"

She trailed off, hoping he'd fill in the blank with a name.

BRICK | 75
PM
^
Berrick Hearthstone
 Posted: Dec 26 2016, 12:04 PM
Berrick Hearthstone
is currently Offline.
N/A
job
unemployed
~Fae
group
Thea
alias
13 secrets

winny. 281.
thx »

oh, oh, oh, I'm on fire.

The woman's response was to the point as she told him he was being pumped full of "fluids," whatever that meant. Nice and vague. He managed to sit up okay this time, though he felt very tired from the effort.

He wasn't quite sure how he'd gotten to the bed, or into the gown he was wearing. The last thing he remembered was talking to this woman in the hall and then collapsing into her, which mustn't have been very pleasant on her end.

So, when she asked if he minded if she checked his vitals, he decided he'd allow it. Of course, he did mind. Someone prodding at him and examining him was the last thing he wanted. He'd been down this road before and it often led to unwanted attention. But, he was fairly certain he'd quite alarmed this woman simply by running across her while making his grand escape.

He realized she was looking for a name and his anxiety heightened just a bit. Being asked his name always made him nervous, even when there wasn't reason to be.

"Stone," he blurted.

He had several aliases he went by in this realm. At present he couldn't quite remember which he had legal documentation for and a glamour would be out of the question in his current state.

"Henry," he added.

He knew he had Henry on some paperwork somewhere. He gave a small nod.

"Check whatever you like, Miss."

In part, calling her Miss was in response to her calling him Mister, but it was also a polite formality on his end. She'd given a name when she first came in.

"Winny," he muttered. "That's a pretty name."

PM
^
Winny Lumis
 Posted: Dec 26 2016, 12:25 PM
Winny Lumis
is currently Offline.
job
Travel Nurse
~Human
group
Thea
alias
14 secrets

Rivers and Roads
rivers 'til I reach you
The patient gave his name as Henry Stone, giving the last name first like James Bond would. This guy didn't look like the James Bond type, especially in a hospital gown. He gave his okay for her to check him out and she gave a nod as she put the buds of the stethoscope into her ears.

"Mister Stone," she repeated.

He was sitting up and he knew his name, which were both good things. As she warmed the business end of the stethoscope with her palms he commented on her name and she smiled.

"It's short for Winifred," she told him.

She put the other end of the stethoscope against his chest through the fabric of the gown.

"Can you take a deep breath for me?"

Since encountering him earlier she'd learned he'd been found drowning, so her first concern was the state of his lungs. She was relieved to hear they sounded clear.

"Your lungs sound good, you know your name, and you know my name," she summarized. "You're already doing better than I expected."

She grabbed a blood pressure cuff from its holder on the wall and wrapped it around his upper forearm.

BRICK | 196
PM
^
Berrick Hearthstone
 Posted: Dec 26 2016, 12:39 PM
Berrick Hearthstone
is currently Offline.
N/A
job
unemployed
~Fae
group
Thea
alias
13 secrets

winny. 201.
thx »

oh, oh, oh, I'm on fire.

When Winny repeated his name back to him he felt a chill run through him. It was a partial of his real name, so it made him nervous to hear it uttered. She told him Winny was short for Winifred and he felt a bit better, as if she'd just revealed something private to him. Brick observed her as she took a moment to warm the small metal disc she'd soon be pressing to his skin. This was something some medical professionals did and others didn't and he'd decided it came down to the level of thoughtfulness on the other end. This small, automatic gesture told him Winny was, at the very least, more thoughtful than sixty percent of the doctors and nurses he'd encountered in recent history. Brick obeyed as she asked him to breathe deeply and she told him his lungs sounded fine, and seemed impressed with his level of coherence. He grinned.

"I'm glad to have exceeded your expectations."

He watched her prepare to take his blood pressure.

"Has anyone else examined me since I've been here?" he asked.

It occurred to him that he may have been prodded at by other people and aroused suspicion whilst unconscious.

PM
^
Winny Lumis
 Posted: Dec 26 2016, 12:52 PM
Winny Lumis
is currently Offline.
job
Travel Nurse
~Human
group
Thea
alias
14 secrets

Rivers and Roads
rivers 'til I reach you
Henry seemed to be in generally good spirits, considering the circumstances. As she put used the cuff and stethoscope to take his blood pressure, her eyes on the wall clock, he asked if anyone else had examined him.

"Doctor Abbott stopped in and checked you out," she said. "He'll come by again once he knows you're awake."

She frowned as she listened to his heartbeat. It was faster than it should have been. She swallowed hard, anxious suddenly. She removed the cuff and put her stethoscope back around her neck before quickly grabbing his chart from the end of the bed to jot down his blood pressure and heart rate.

"Your blood pressure's high," she observed. "Do you have high blood pressure normally? Do you take medication for it or anything like that?"

She didn't want to worry him, but she was a tad alarmed herself.

BRICK | 146
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

Static Affiliates
Scrolling Affiliates

skin created by miss texas. at caution 2.0.